Monday, June 7, 2010

A Small Change Challenge.

Every Monday I would like to suggest a Small Change Challenge. Think of what a big difference one small change a week will make in our health over time.
Last week I posted about MSG. This weekend I did more research into the dangers of this ingredient. Now more strongly than ever I believe it aught to be eliminated from our diet as much as possible.
I encourage you to do some research. Here are a couple links that quickly cover the basics of what you need to know. After taking a look at these sites I think you will be motivated to start this weeks challenge! http://www.greatestherbsonearth.com/articles/msg_obesity.htm
Challenge: Go through your kitchen and get rid of anything with MSG. This week we are going to eat MSG free! Be on the look out for hidden MSG. I had to go back through my kitchen and throw away a few more items after realizing that some of my so called MSG free foods still contained MSG! Even foods that claim no added MSG may have this poison lurking in the guise of these other names: Glutamate, anything "hydrolyzed"Textured protein, Yeast extract, Sodium caseinate, Carrageenan, Natural flavoring, Whey protein, Maltodextrin, Malt flavoring, Anything protein fortified, Seasonings, Anything fermented.
Once MSG's exitotoxins which stimulate hunger stop barraging our brains I hope our "diets" will be easier to follow this week.

Here are a few tips to get you on your way to MSG free eating: stay away from anything processed, packaged seasoning mixes, canned soup, fast food, food in a box such as Hamburger Helper and Rise a Roni.
Rather, eat fresh vegetables, fruit, unprocessed fresh meat, and fish. I do not mention grains, beans, soy or dairy in this list because they are high in natural free glutamate which can also not be good for some. If you don't want to go this far consume in moderation.
Overall this way of eating (regardless of MSG) is very healthy for PCOS!

Blessings.

Can't wait for my MSG free zucchini!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sophia, my lovely daughter,
    You have put much care into this blog. I know it will help those who seek to be well. You have been struggling for sometime with PCOS but I am encouraged to see how your efforts are giving you good results.

    Since you explained about the hazards of MSG I started the diet suggested. My motivation is a strong one: pain. It has only been four days and already I've noticed a difference in my pain. Muscles spasms, sore joints, burning arms and legs, especially at night, etc. have subsided by a degree. My doctor wanted to give my Lyrica but I said no. I wanted to find out "why" I am hurting. And I think I've found out because of your research. My mornings are much better. I am hopeful that my afternoons and evenings will soon be less painful and I can take walks with Dad again. It is frightening how MSG can affect the nervous system and brain and cause all kinds of swelling.
    What can be better for your diet than growing your own vegetables? I am blessed to live among the Amish farms where I can get farm eggs, additive-free chicken and organic vegetables. But these are expensive. Growing your own is great. Keep up the good work.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete