Saturday, June 5, 2010

Homemade Sushi

This was my first attempt at making Sushi. I don't have all the right tools but it was fun and turned out well I think. The white sticky rice used in Sushi is carby but if you only have a little and it is balanced with the healthy fat from the avocado and protein from the crab it should be ok.

Cook the white Sushi rice first. Here I used three cups water and one and half cups rice. It took about 25 minutes cook. While that cooled I thinly sliced some carrot, cucumber, avocado and imitation crab meat. (It is best to get your imitation crab from the health food store if you can as it will have less additives.)
I bought the Nori sheets from my local grocery store in the Asian section for about four dollars.







Spread the rice thinly on the Nori. Leave half an inch bare along the long edge.











Lay your veggies and meat along the edge as shown.
Rolling was a little tricky but not as hard as I thought it might be without the little bamboo mat thing your supposed to use.













Wet the sharpest knife you have and slice to desired thickness. I think it looks beautiful.













Packing them away for my husband to take to work for lunch. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment