Friday, June 25, 2010

Back to Blogging

I am home from the hospital. Just had a look inside my uterus. Before today I and my family were at the beach for a few days. But now I am ready to get back to my blog and working on my health, keeping up the good fight with PCOS.
I did finish my week of raw food. It was a nice treat to eat more fruit. However at the end of the week my cravings were up and I had not lost any weight. I did a lot of reading online, prose and cones of the raw food diet. I walked away from this experiment with resolved to add more raw food to my diet. However in order to consume adequate protein I will be eating a small amount of organic poultry and fish. I will keep fruit to a minimum since it seemed to increase my cravings. But I will still eat a little fruit during the week for the nutrients they contain.

This week I will be giving The Rosedale diet a try. The theory behind this diet is controlling the hormone Leptin. Leptin is a hormone made by body fat that controls hunger levels and fat storage or release. For the first three weeks one consumes only: fibrous veggies, nuts, fish, organic poultry, avocado and olive oil. No grains, fruit, dairy, starchy veggies or meats high in saturated fat are aloud. Often when one follows a low carbohydrate diet they are encouraged to supplement those calories with protein. Dr. Rosedale says no. Excess protein is turned into glucose. Also excess protein can be toxic to ones system. So where do the majority of ones calories come from? "Healthy fats" as Rosedale calls them. The fats from fish, nuts and olive oil. There is no calorie or carb counting on this diet. Dr. Rosedale does ask that one keeps their protein below 75 to 60 grams a day. This diet sounds very close to how I eat already. I am exited to give his theory a try this week. He has a stage one and two. In the first three weeks one is supposed to be changing their body from sugar burning to fat burning. This helps in regulating the correct Leptin levels. I am not sure what I think of the Science behind this diet. A diet where one can never again eat sweet potatoes or pumpkin or more than I tiny bit of fruit seems over restrictive. These foods have an abundance of healthy nutrients. I feel that a moderate version of this diet idea would be a good one that I could stay with for the long term. It makes more sense to me than the Atkins diet where one consumes unrestricted protein and fat and very little fiber or even veggies especially in the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment