Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A Closer Look


See the beautiful rolling fields on this package? The strong healthy "green" man standing tall beside the delicious looking broccoli and cheese? There are only 60 calories a serving and it is low in fat. Sounds great for someone on a diet don't you think? I thought so. But wait...now lets look at the back of the package.
What is all this? Shouldn't is say broccoli and cheddar cheese? That would be two ingredients.
Did all this stuff grow in those beautiful, green rolling fields we saw on the front of the package? I don't think so! I checked for MSG before I threw this in the trash and found hydrolyzed corn gluten,autolyzed yeast, and natural and artificial flavoring. All ingredients with MSG in them.
I think it is worth mentioning that there is partiality hydrogenated soybean oil in this as well. So much for a healthy side dish. Who cares if it is only 60 calories a serving. It is 60 calories of junk. Want broccoli? Buy it fresh or even frozen without sauce. Want cheese? Buy fresh organic cheddar and melt a little on top.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, this is so sad that products that are made to look soooo good, have tons of additives in them!

    Folks like myself, who have terrible food allergies, always have to try to scan the ingredients, and with products like these, I need a magnifying lens, plus if I don't know what some of the 'undercover' names are for certain additives, such as the MSG, I usually just end up putting the product back in the freezer.

    I have heard in the past many years ago, how stores actually hire people to go through their aisles and try to place the packages that look very appealing at the right heights for children, adults, and especially for the areas where you first shop, while you might be the 'hungriest'.

    One thing I learned, to add to your research, is that we should NEVER go food shopping while we are 'running on empty' and have not eaten anything. That is why these fancy and colorful packages are produced as they are. Those packagages of cookies, and potato chips and all the so called 'healthy' frozen vegetables, look so very appealing to the hungry shopper.

    Maybe we should have special glasses that we could wear when we go shopping, that would make everything look 'colorless'???? That would be something. I bet we would not come out of the stores with very much in our carts! :)

    Great research, Sophia, and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment. What you said about shopping when your hungry is so true and good advice. What an interesting thought about shopping in black and white! I think your right. We would come out with less bags to carry. hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sophia,
    The sweet potato fries look great. I'd like to make them for my men folk. William seems to be enjoying them.
    You've inspired me to eat more raw, too.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete